Signs of Mold Growing in Your Home
The presence of molds in a home can cause a lot of problems to its occupants, ranging from mild to severe, from health to financial-related. For these reasons, mold growth in the home is something every homeowner wants to steer clear of.
A type of mold known as Stachybotrys chartarum, or more commonly known as black toxic mold, can cause a wide range of symptoms and health problems in humans, particularly in the respiratory and central nervous systems. It has been linked to mental impairment, breathing problems, and in certain cases, even death.
Aside from damaging the health of a home’s occupants, molds are also quite capable of damaging the home itself since molds damage or eat what they grown on.
Even if there’s nothing as reliable as seeking advice from a professional mold inspector, homeowners can still keep their home and family safe by looking out for early symptoms that might make their home vulnerable to mold growth.
The following are some signs that may indicate mold growth in a home that every homeowner should thus watch out for:
If you or a member of your family is experiencing allergic symptoms, such as sneezing, watery eyes or runny nose, these can be good indicators that there is mold growth in your home.
If the allergic reactions become worse when the sufferer is at home more than in any other place, it is likely that there is mold growing in your home.
When there is mold growth in a home, a very distinctive musty smell often comes with it. Even if there aren’t any visual indicators of a growth, this smell should not be ignored. A thorough inspection of your home should be done before the infestation gets worse.
Moisture / Water Problems
The presence of a moisture or water problem will inevitably lead to mold growth. Some indicators of a moisture or water problem in your home include stains or discoloration on your floors, walls, and ceiling. Also watch out for peeling and cracking of paint and wallpaper and for surfaces feeling damp.
The presence of high amounts of condensation can be a good indicator that there is mold growth in a home. This is due to the fact that high condensation also means high moisture. Condensation is likely to be seen on glass windows and indoor pipes, making these places ideal environments for mold growth.
If you or a member of your family is suffering from any neurological symptoms such as dizziness, shortened attention span, and memory loss, these can be indicators of mold poisoning. The mycotoxins from toxic mold can have much more severe mental effects than just allergic reactions from other non-toxic molds.