What is Mold?
Molds are microscopic fungi that thrive on moist or damp areas to grow. They are part of the natural environment:
Molds reproduce through spores, which are airborne and thus can easily enter every home through open windows and doors. They can attach to clothing or fur or on your slippers.
Spores are like seeds that when they land on another surface, they start to grow provided that the conditions are right. If you try to clean up molds by wiping them, you are actually spreading more spores inside your house rather than eliminate them.
If you see whitish, greenish, bluish, or even dark spots on the walls or ceiling the place may have mold problems.
Mold can cause harmful effects to human health that might turn to allergic infections and toxic reactions.
The most common Allergic Effects are:
Nasal congestions and irritation;
Mucous membrane irritation;
Allergic reactions - Rhinitis and Asthma;
Sneezing and coughing;
Mold toxins studies suggest that toxins may be the cause of:
Reactions in the immunological system (reducing the ability of the organism to react to diseases);
Neurotoxin effects such as fatigue, headaches, memory loss, depression, erratic moods, convulsions and shaking;
Potential cancer trigger;
Eventually, mold destroys whatever it grows on. It can ruin furnishings, destroy cabinets and cause serious damage to the structural elements in your property. Mold is extremely durable and adaptable. It can survive in the harshest conditions and is resistant to even the strongest disinfectants and bleaches. Eliminating leaks and moisture can slow the spread of mold, but testing to determine the type of mold is the first responsible step in creating an effective action plan.