A. The EPA recommends that a qualified contractor who does mold removal should do areas that are more than 10 square feet. Even in situations of areas less than 10 square feet or a "3 foot by 3 foot" area we recommend you have a professional mold test done to the building. Mold can spread rapidly inside walls, crawl spaces, and ceilings and inside your air ducts. It is also hard to tell how far the damage has reached.
A. In some cases if areas are completely dried within 24 hours mold will not grow. However if mold was present, it will multiply quickly with in 48 hours. Please also remember that you cannot tell if the area is dry without the proper equipment.
A. Chlorine bleach is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved. If you choose to use disinfectants or biocides, do your research from the manufacture.
Please note: Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.
A. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
A. You can usually see mold growing in damp areas on walls and floors. However mold does have a smell from compounds produced by molds which are volatile and quickly released into the air. These strong smelling compounds are known as microbial volatile organic compounds (mVOCs). Because mVOCs often have strong or unpleasant odors, they can be the source of the "moldy odor" or musty smell frequently associated with mold growth. A moldy odor suggests that mold is growing in the building and should be investigated by someone qualified in toxic mold removal.
If you have a question please contact us